Bring on the Lists!!
Well I just got back from another drubbing in volleyball and figured I post a nice easy block of questions.
What was your;
1) First big concert (you know, the one you sat in the rafters for while people around you did things you weren't sure what they were doing, but now do)
2) Best/most memorable concert(s)
3) Worst or most dissapointing concert(s)
4) Best surprise ( opening band or dragged to a show you ended up loving)
For me it's
1) The Police with R.E.M. in '83 at the New Haven Civic Center. When Sting played the bass line to "When the World is Runnin' Down..." and I could feel it, I almost pissed myself.
2)A tough one to really narrow down, but U2 at the Spectrum for "The Unforgettable Fire" tour was pretty cool because Bono brought a kid out of the audience to strum along to "Bad". U2 again, in '84 at the Tower Theatre in Philly was great because it was right as they were getting big. The Stones' "Steel Wheels" show at The Carrier Dome was a very good time also.
3) The Clash in '85, I'm a huge Clash fan, but by '85 they'd topped out and the split was inevitable. The Psychedelic Furs in '87 (I don't know what I was expecting, but it sucked) Dave Matthews in '98?, maybe it was the crowd, but unenjoyable. The Black Crowes at the Horde in '97?, thanks Tommy H. for dragging us to the front of the stage. Also because of the hours ahead of time Chas and I had to wait in a hot dusty parking lot for the rest of the drunks to show up, and the fact we all went camping afterwards and I forgot to pack a tent. Oh well.
4) Best surprises- Seeking Homer opening when we went to see the Samples in VT.
Cowboy Mouth at Irving Plaza who played after Seeking Homer. Cowboy Mouth was a blast! I didn't know one song, but had a great time! Might be the loudest concert ever.
Springsteen in '84, at the time I wasn't a fan, but actually really liked the show, and turned me around. Go figure.
Enough rambling from me. Who's got a list?

6 Comments:
My first big concert, although not "big" in many circles, it was for me at the time; New Addition at the Garden State Arts Center with Bobby Brown and many who moved on to form Bel Biv Devoe, they had it goin on way back when.
2) Best concert, I have a few; All of the Dead Shows I think I was at, John Cougar Mellencamp Providence Civic Center 1987, AMAZING. Jerry Garcia Band, Continental Airlines Arena Halloween 1993??? two people were dressed up like thing 1 and thing 2, from Dr. Seuss. Allman Brothers acoustic, outside stage, Continental Airlines arena parking lot. Dicky Betts was late due to being incarcerated for beating his wife. Played a song called Seven Turns, still one of my favs of all time.
3)Worst-Maybe the Horde that Gregg referred to, I fell asleep and everybody was angry at us.
4) Best Surprise- Fleetwood Mac, Providence Civic Center,1991, although I couldn't feel my legs due to some foreign substance I inhaled, it was amazing. Also, Lenny Kravits opening for Tom Petty, Full Moon Fever tour. He was pretty much an unknown. AND Blues Traveler opening for the Allman Brothers, who knows when in some huge field. Nothing better then drinking Boons Farm, listening to Blues Traveler playing hackysack.
New Edition? Ha ha ha ha ha... You know Bobby B. and Whitney bought the house on the hill next to my parents. Keep your eyes out for the big Harris/Brown/Houston swim, croquet, wife beating party this summer!
In doing this list it made me realize I haven't been to a stadium concert in years. Is that lame?
Well now you know where you can get your crack. Speaking of Bobby, I was watching "Being Bobby Brown" the other night, a dumb reality show about how self absorbed him and his crack ho wife are, but, he sang on Jimmy Kimmel, he didn't sound that bad. AND he explained what a Tendaroni is, incase that has been bothering you since the 80's, like it was me. What is it you ask?? Why, it's a "hot" girl, duhhhh!!
Hari,
It's a fine blog you've got going here, I'm quite impressed!
Now since I'm behind on all the questions let me see if I can catch up...
1- First big concert - Sept 25, 1982 the Who at Franklin Field.
2- Best - I'm going with the same as above.
3- Most dissapointing - how about most uncomfortable? U2 when I was in Holland because I had just blow out my ACL and had to stand up for the whole show! Plus I was in the way back and couldn't see anyone and the sound wasn't the best.
4- ??? I can't really think of one. Concerts just aren't my thing I guess. I'm more of an illegal download type of guy.....
But since we're on the topic of music, my friend Flash turned me on to a guy named Ted Hawkins. He's got a great sound and an interesting story to boot. I can provide some mp3's if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Beebs.
Make sure it's not Steven Hawkins?
Is Ted Heather's dad?
No and No. Google him, you'll see...
Post a Comment
<< Home