Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dave O's June CD is out and about!

I know many of you were excited for this cd when it was announced that Dave had come aboard. He didn't disapoint! What a cool cd with lots of new stuff. It must be cool when you can add one of your own professionally recorded songs and comment on various acts that you've played with.
Dave is the lead singer/songwriter for the band Seeking Homer. Check out there site www.seekinghomer.com

The attached is Dave's liner notes for this cd.

1) Magnificent 7 - The Clash: One of my favorite tunes for car rides, parties and whoop dee doos.

2) Strange Days- Moke: Seeking Homer jammed with Moke when they toured the US back in 2000. We opened shows for them in upstate NY. Great guys. This track is from the album Carnival. Lead singer, John Hogg, has since toured with Rich Robinson's (black crowes) spin off band, Hookah Brown. (great band too!)

3) Gone for Good- The Shins: Just got into these guys, great vocals and slick chords. Some great tunes!

4)Faith- Aaron Katz: Some of you that read Relix, or if you're into the jam music scene, you may recognize Aaron. He's the drummer from longtime jam/groove band Percy Hill. We toured with him a bunch. I think he's got a Peter Gabriel/Seal vibe going, and the album that houses this tune is fantastic. It's called Simplest Warrior.

5) Hellride-Knockout Drops: NYC's finest rockers and performers. Chris Campion (lead vocals) is the brother of Bogmen front man, Billy Campion. I thought this song had potential for Kasey Kasem's top ten! ha!

6) Cool Water-Marty Robbins: There's somethingeerie and cool about Cool Water. The Great Marty Robbins!

7) Bravado- Rush: soem people ignore Rush because of Geddy Lee's nasally twanger vocals. Hands down, one of the best live shows you will ever see. Drummer Neil Peart writes the lyrics. Alex Leifson on guitars-yikes!!! I caught their recent show, Ghost Rider tour at Jones Beach. I was floored.

8) Have a Nice Day- Stereophonics: I don't know how I ended up with this music/cd. It's damn good though. I think they are British.

9) Waterproof- Thanks to Gravity: band was signed to Arista back in the day, same time as Dave Matthews. They rock, plus lead singer/writer Andy Happel produced our latest album! I had to plug him on this mix!

10) Don't Throw It All Away- Barrington Levy: Jamaica's finest crooners. He hits all those flat and sharp notes outside the keys. Makes my big toe pop right out my shoe!

11) Don't do it- The Band: I don't know what is better in this song: Levon Helms' vocals, the horn arrangement, the harmonies, Robbie Robertson's guitar solo/outro, or just the live cut. I guess this maybe the best song ever!

12) The Man int he Subway Station- Seeking Homer: how could I not include a homer tune! We felt this tune was one oour finest achievements in our studio recording collection. Centerpiece tune on album, Not So Far Away.

13) Waiting for the Storm- Richard Shindell: bummed a ticket to see him at Carnegie hall with Lucy Kaplansky this past fall. I was blown away. The former seminarian/priest writes some of the best acoustic tunes around. I would recommend his live album, Courier. Lucy Kaplansky sings backup on this track! She's great too!

14) New Lover- JJ Cale: JJ makes all the mixes. JJ loves the rhythms. JJ wrote the tune, Cocaine, for Eric Clapton. Who is cooler than JJ? JJ JJ JJ!!!!

15) Only 16- Sam Cooke: this is Seeking homer's favorite entrance tune to our live shows.

16) Hottentot- John Scofield: NYC jazz guitar guru, John Scofield rips it up. From the album, A Go-go

3 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

PinF wants in. Where do i send CD to.?

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can work you in to the club PinF. I just have to fiqure out which month to slide you into. I'll let you know.

Dave's cd is alot of fun, a nice variety all mixed together. It must be cool to be able to include one of you own songs. Dave, I'm still a big fan of anything off of Homer's "A Good Hard Smack", especially "Red Faded Hat" and "Fairhaven". I'm with you on Richard Shindell, I think he's great. I saw him at Joe's Pub (a great place to see someone, very intimate) in NYC about 3 years ago. In fact I met him before the show back stage as I was wandering around looking for the bathroom. We talked briefly (true) and then decided to switch roles for a while. He went to the b-room and I went and played a few acoustic numbers (true???).
I've noticed the Clash have popped on numerous cd's so far. Good sign.

JJ Cale is a very cool guy, his stuff does sound similar after a while, but still enjoyable. Don't forget the other song he wrote that Clapton used to help get onto more radios and tv commercials, "After Midnight". I never understood Clapton's "Time Pieces" album. Of the 10 songs on there he only wrote 1 by himself and 2 others with help. The rest are COVERS! Anyway.

Well I won't babble anymore. Anyone out there!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

I'm only gonna issue one release then retire...forward address gregg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home