Disco's CD Hits Big
This is Joe's e-mail liner notes.
Hopefully by now you have received the August disc, it was mailed out early this week, if you don't receive one soon, let me know. This will serve as my liner notes - hope you enjoy the disc! The title - the disc was originally conceived as a British artists only album until I ran out of music and had too many domestic tunes I wanted to include. (I realized a few of the artist's names got cut-off on my print job - woops!) The rundown:
Name Artist
"Avi Arrives" Film Dialogue - great movie, "I'm coming to London!" was part of my Brit theme
"Remind Me" Röyksopp - fun tune that I heard on a snowboard DVD
"Work It Out" Dave Matthews Band & Jurassic 5 - great crossover tune that features Jurassic 5, a very cool "undergound Hip Hop" band that's been around for a while but my instincts tell me you'll be hearing more of them soon....
"Long Way Down" Guster - great album, others have included them, this is my favorite track
"Work to Do" The Isley Brothers - just a great rhythm
"Crazy" Gnarls Barkley - kind of a pop tune, but the vocals are by
"Cee Lo" who you might remember from Holloway's disc last year
"Parklife" Blur - I love this guy's accent, just trips me out. If you don't have The best of Blur go immediately to the record store and buy it
"I Hope, I Think, I Know" Oasis - again with the Brit theme. I kinda like how cocky these guys are, and they make some great rock and roll
"Dreadlock Holiday" 10cc - cool reggae track from the "Snatch" soundtrack
"Digital Love" Daft Punk - if this song doesn't make you want to get out of your seat and dance I don't know what will. Don't adjust your speakers, the muting effect is part of the song. Try to listen with headphones - Loud! The Synthesyzer solo is hilarious!
"Black Star" Radiohead - I can't believe it's been almost two years and there hasn't been one Radiohead track yet. I think "The Bends" is one of the greatest rock and roll albums ever.
"Think (About It)" The Female Preacher, Lyn Collins - I bet you've always wondered where that sample came from...
"Dandelion" Audioslave - I loved Soundgarden, and I'm pretty stoked on Audioslave. It's great to see Chris Cornell keep throwing down amazing vocals....too bad Eddie Vedder can't.
"Video Killed the Radio Star" The Presidents of the United States of America - this one's for Gregg, as I know he loves kooky cover tunes
"I Know You Got Soul" Eric B. & Rakim - I'm a sucker for old school hip hop. I love this track for the raw, accapella like vocals and Rakim's smooth lyrical style. It's a little known fact that Eric B. was just a front and Rakim was laying down the vocals and the turntable tracks - one at a time....wow
"I Miss You" Incubus - one of my favorite bands, great mellow tune with amazing vocals
"Tomorrow Never Knows" The Beatles - way ahead of it's time, hard to believe it's from 1966. If you listen closely to "Revolver" you'll hear the blueprint for almost every modern rock album
"Taper Jean" Girl Kings of Leon - heard this on "Entourage" and thought it was a great tune
"Candy" Iggy Pop and Kate Pierson - one of the greatest punk duets ever....heard this recently on the "Peak" for the first time in a loooong time, and thought to myself "I need to put this on my mix"....
"Slit Skirts" Pete Townshend - oldie but a goodie, had this tucked away for a while now. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the pedophile charges.....Hope you've enjoyed itcheers mates! - disco
How cheeky of Joe to put Blur and Oasis right next to each other knowing thier history of brawling. I love Oasis' "What's the Story....", but not mauch after that. They seem to have lost some melody and replaced it with over-the-top blaring backround guitar.
You're right Joe about my love of odd covers. I hate when an artist just covers without adding any new flavor.
"Slit Skirts" has always been on my list of favorites. From the album "All the Best Cowboys have Chineese Eyes"
I've never "Think (about it) by Lyn Collins- very cool.
Any comments out there?

4 Comments:
Joe's lame. PinF's mailbox revealed nada, nothing, zilch. Late and forgetful---a deadly combo. Consider him off PinF's Holiday card list.
This is a collection of late, lame and low members. Sorry Har.
I've got DSL now, who's setting up an FTP server so I can download some music?
Hari?
Hmmm... anyone?
Hari?
This is the MayTag site Chuck. No one ever comes here.....hence the hollow echo you here as you type in here.
Originally set up as a sounding forum for Hari's eleven musical disciples---it has since grown over in a jungle of silence. His CD club all but muted by their incredibly "busy" lives---despite Mr. Hari's dedication and dilligence.
No Chuck-- you won't get any answewr here----this is a sort of "no-man's" land....
Ok, so you'll be setting up the ftp server for me when?
Post a Comment
<< Home