Hail Hail Rock & Roll
I recently watched "Hail Hail Rock & Roll" the story of Chuck Berry and his role in shaping rock & roll. It's certainly worth a viewing. Chuck's music and style are timeless. Springsteen describes Chuck's concert M.O. Apperantly Chuck would never "tour", but play one show here and there when he wanted to. He would request payment in cash and hire backup bands at each venue. (They would have to play to his standards in order to get paid. There wasn't any rehearsal and he would often change keys throughout the show leaving the band to fend for themselves. Needless to say they never played up to his standards and hence rarely got paid. I suppose playing backup for Chuck Berry should be enough.)
He would show up minutes before the gig starting time in his rented Caddy already dressed and ready to go with his guitar. Hit the stage, blow everyone away and as the last song was winding down he'd get his cash and back into his Caddy and off he went.
Keith Richards works with Chuck in the film to put on a star studded concert. Keith is so out of his mind wasted most of the time. He doesn't take direction from Chuck very well either.
During the concert footage they show the crowd and oh how white they are. It's scary how gauky they are. Julian Lennon sings a song with Chuck
and he looks and acts just like Pee Wee Herman, another awkward whitey moment.
Little Richard is hysterical in the interviews.
It's a fun movie to watch, I would reccomend it.
Next music movie review will be Stewart Copeland's "Everyone Stares, The Police Inside Out"

3 Comments:
That was pretty much how I liked to tour - in and out, cash in hand, never work with the same band twice, etc.
What can I say we artists are a fickle lot....oh you were talking about Chuck Berry. My bad, I thought you were talking about Chuck Beeby.
I've heard that about you, except they say the "in and out" was much too fast and you were the one handing over the cash. I don't know it's just what I heard.
When in Amsterdam.....
Post a Comment
<< Home